Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Welcome to my life!

What is it like to be an almost literal "lifelong" runner? The story goes that at the age of three, I would not let my dad out the door for his runs until he took me down the street for my "run" first. After a jog down the block to see some ducks, my dad would bring me back home and then commence his real run. I would deliberately get in trouble in first grade so I would be punished with laps instead of having to play kickball. I once ran the entire period always answering my teacher's seemingly rhetorical question of "had enough?" with "nope."  I ran my first half marathon in under 2 hours at the age of nine and subsequently had my first stress fracture shortly thereafter. At the age of 10, I was running 40 mile weeks and under 40 for the 10k. At the age of 16, I ran my first marathon in 2:54. During my junior and senior year in high school, I raced 124 times in 69 weeks. A recipe for burnout some might say. My response would be that I have run a sub 2:50 marathon in every decade of my life since that first one including a 2:38:00 in 2010. At the age of 41, I ran a 4:44 mile, a 15:58 5k and a 32:51 10k - all on the track. My earliest and most recent 100 mile weeks came over 20 years apart. I am a runner who never learned to fear running or racing. I love both so I do both... often. I am a runner, a racer, a coach, a fan. Welcome to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment